Allah(swt) says in the Holy Quran:
And of His signs is that He created for you from yourselves mates that you may find tranquillity in them; and He placed between you affection and mercy. Indeed in that are signs for a people who give thought.
[Sûrah Rûm: 21]
To attain the tranquility mentioned by Allah(swt), Muslim couples must try to spend as much time together as possible. This is very important for a strong relationship, to develop love and mercy for each other.
We indeed have the best example in our Prophet Muhammad(SAWS).Though entrusted with such a huge responsibility and being sent on such a serious mission, he still was playful with his wives and used to have fun with them. One such example is given by this hadith.
Aisha(RAA) narrated : While she was on a journey along with the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ): I had a race with him (the Prophet) and I outstripped him on my feet. When I became fleshy, (again) I had a race with him (the Prophet) and he outstripped me. He said: This is for that outstripping.
Grade Sahih (Al-Albani )
Reference : Sunan Abi Dawud 2578
In-book reference : Book 15, Hadith 102
The above hadith proves that they used to have a good time together.
But Often times, Muslim couples get bored and are confused about what to do together. Especially halal activities. Below, I have tried to list some ideas that you can implement and enjoy. Try these activities with your spouse. Some are pure fun. Some are “fun and learn”.
1. Cook: Cooking can be lot of fun when done with company. If both spouses are interested in cooking, it will make for a great fun activity but even if the husband is not much into cooking, he should do it once in a while for fun and experimentation. Baking/grilling/roasting together will be an amazing experience.
2. Playing islamic quizzes: Choose an Islamic book to read, preferably a short one. When both of you finish reading, prepare quizzes for each other. GMake it like a contest and have a prize for the winner.
3. Go to the nearest park, garden or zoo and enjoy the nature together. Make this visit with the intention to worship Allah. Praise and glorify Allah at every beautiful sight and sound of nature. Reflect and ponder over the beauty, the detail, the craftsmanship of Allah. Stare, gaze, think and ponder; and discuss it all with your spouse. This visit should act as an imaan booster and should leave you in awe of Allah.
4. Enjoy the rain and snow. Have fun in the bounty of Allah together and thank him immensely for it.
5. Share happy memories. Sit down in leisure and recollect your happy memories together. It will revive your love and stem in your heart deep gratitude for Allah.
6. Play games like Unscramble, word search, riddles based on islamic themes.
7. Instead of being glued to your individual phones and being in different worlds though being right next to each other, do your online activities together. Watch the funny videos you receive on whatsapp with your spouse instead of forwarding them to their phone.
Watch islamic lectures together and have a thorough discussion about it. Discuss what you learnt, what you are going to implement, your thoughts and reflections on it.
Watch lectures about angels for some fascinating information. Watch lectures about jinns for a thrilling time. Knowledge about these creatures will renew the fear of Allah in you, make you fear sin, sleep early and will also wake you up for fajr together. It will also result in more cuddles at night(lol!).
Watch lectures on jannah on lovely weather days and sit and imagine jannah together for a romantic evening.
Watch lectures about grave, life after death, day of judgment and hell fire, when you feel you are slipping and to encourage each other to avoid sins.
8. Go shopping for buying gifts for family, relatives and neighbors. Even if there’s no occasion, go on a shopping spree, enjoy yourself, surprise them and rejuvenate your relationships. And yeah, buy something for each other as well.
Abu Hurayra reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, “Give gifts and you will love one another.” (Al adab-Al mufrad)
Grade : hassan(Al-Albani)
(Al adab Al mufrad, Book 30, Hadith 57)
9. Do some creative crafts together. Or a creative islamic project. Whether you can draw, or paint, on paper or on computer. Make beautiful charts, cards based on islam. You can decorate your home or gift or distribute them.
10. Challenge each other to do good deeds. It is said that it takes 21 days to form a habit. Choose a sunnah and challenge each other to perform it for 21 days straight. Decide a prize for the winner.
11. Play “I love you more” game. Each spouse should take turns and say “I love you more because….” and state a true reason. The one who
runs out of reasons first loses. Every couple must play this game at least once a month. It’s a nice way of expressing your love, it also lets your partner know what you appreciate, what touches your heart and what impresses you. Another variation is “I am thankful to you for…”
12. And yes, Race with each other. It’s sunnah. If you can’t run, then have a walking race.
I hope the above ideas help you and strengthen your bond with your spouse and hence with Allah(swt) as well. Remember, true love is possible only when it is for the sake of Allah. Love each other for the sake of Allah, and in sha Allah, He will reunite you both in Jannah.