Fasting is indispensable for mankind! And that is why Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful, says, “O you who believe! The Fast has been prescribed for you, as it has been prescribed for those before you, so that you may attain self-protection.” (Surat Al-Baqarah: 2:183).
Fasting in Ramadan is special! Why?
It purifies and promotes our Spiritual, Mental and Physical health. It’s a time to heal your body and your soul. Let’s take a quick peek on physical health of us Women.
Since I have known Womanhood – as a woman myself or as a doctor, I have realized one thing on consistent basis. A women’s true health depends on her Hormonal Health. If our hormones as balanced, most functions in our body are balanced and we feel healthy. But if our hormones are not balanced then we encounter different health issues on mild, moderate and severe level of hormonal imbalance present.
- Mild hormonal imbalances lead to: – Breast tenderness, Menstrual cramps, fluid retention, Mood swings, Headaches
- Moderate hormonal imbalances lead to:- Irregular Menstruation, Weight gain, Hair loss, Depression, Fatigue, Thyroid Dysfunction, Adrenal gland Fatigue, Migraines, Severe, Menstrual cramps, Heavy periods with clotting, Joint and muscle cramps, Decreased Libido
- Severe hormonal imbalances lead to:- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome ( PCOS), Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Fibrocystic Breasts, Breast tumors, INFERTILITY, Miscarriages, Auto immune disorders, Insomnia, Accelerated Ageing.
Hormonal Imbalance usually begins with abnormality in 2 key hormones
- Estrogen Dominance – a surge of Estrogen Hormone due to estrogen mimicking food agents in our diet also known as xeno- hormones.
- Insulin resistance – cells of the body don’t respond properly to the hormone insulin, which causes High blood sugar levels and other conditions like Abnormal Weight gain, high cholesterol and blood pressure.
To fight and reverse this imbalance it is very important the we detox your body of the agents that cause Estrogen dominance and Insulin Resistance.
Fasting is a type of Detox in itself and Ramadan is a great time to detox. Fasting Detox encourages the liver to cleanse the body of toxins and excess hormones. It also supports the uterus to Detox itself of old stagnant blood and increases circulation to the uterus while toning the uterine tissues.
As mentioned earlier the hormonal imbalance is an underlying cause. Once the Xeno ( BAD) hormones are kicked out, other hormones start getting balanced, we start getting rid of your problems. We will feel that your bodies feel lighter, your menstruation start getting regular and easy and your Skin, hair and fitness gets as sudden boost.
Health Rules for Fasting in Ramadan to Heal your hormones
Stop processed foods: Anything processed, unhealthy or fast foods are not allowed in Fertility detox. You need to eat as much as natural foods.
AVOID: Caffeine, Sugar, Soda, Pasteurized juices, Soy foods
Conventional Chicken and Beef is a big NO – NO – Hormone free, grass fed chicken/ meat is okay. Include fish at least 2 time a week, preferably Salmon, Mackerel.
Avoid white stuff: Avoid eating foods that cause major blood sugar spikes, which can cause shifts in your hormones. These foods include, white sugar, white flour, white rice, white pasta, white breads, breakfast cereals, baked and packaged goods.
Instead choose whole grains and other sources of carbohydrate that have lower, slower effects on blood sugar and insulin rather than highly refined carbohydrates that quickly boost blood sugar and insulin.
It means most readymade bakery items should be avoided.
Must include good fats – Increase foods that enhance hormonal health, including fresh produce such as avocados and sweet potatoes, as well as red peppers and good fats like organic Coconut oil, Olive oil. You are advised to use Cow’s ghee in moderation.
Eat more vegetable protein, like lentils, beans and nuts, and less animal protein.
Eat at-least one salad for Iftaar to include lot of Fiber
Fiber helps to cleanse excess estrogen from the body. We also get most of our minerals and cleansing fiber from green, leafy vegetables.
Eat greens with dinner The fiber that is found in dark greens such as broccoli is important for helping the body to get rid of excess hormones and helps to keep the blood sugar balanced.
Drink a smoothie for Iftaar: Take a fertility smoothie packed with dates/figs/Raisins, fresh fruits, veggies especially greens and fertility super foods like Flax seeds, Chia seeds, Maca and Royal Jelly.
Switch to whole dairy products or Preferably Almond milk/coconut milk Also keep milk products to a minimum because of their congesting nature. Use more varieties of Yoghurt as they are loaded with lots of good bacteria that aids digestion and helps detox.
Drink lots of water
Water is a big part of this cleanse, drink at least 2 to 3 liters of fresh, purified, clean water daily. Water should be taken before or between meals. Avoid taking it after meals.
Eat Sunnah ways and Be present while you eat
Eat your portions according to Sunnah that is 2/3rd stomach full and leave 1/3rd empty. Always be mindful of this before you start your meal.
Eat with your right hands and Chew each bite as if it were your first bite of food ever.
Really be present with where that food came from and how far has it traveled to get to your table. Be thankful to Allah for this blessing.
Make dry fruit portions and keep it ready to be eaten at any time when you feel hungry.
In case you feel tired or crave sweet, you can have a small portion of DARK CHOCOLATE with minimum 70%Cocoa.
While it is important to fast for the sake of Allah with Right intentions, it is also important that you fast in a healthy way to heal your hormones and health issues.
This is how Healthy fasting in Ramadan can heal your Hormones: –
- Fasting in Ramadan is a type of intermittent fasting. As the Ramadan fast extends from Fajar till Magrib, there is enough time and opportunity to replenish energy stores at Suhoor and Iftaar meals.
- Fasting provides a sustained, gentle transition from using glucose to fat as the main source of energy.
- It prevents the breakdown of muscle for protein.
- The use of fat for energy aids weight loss, preserving the muscles, and in the long run reduces your cholesterol levels.
- As a result, there is weight loss that leads to better control of diabetes and blood pressure.
- A detoxification process also seems to occur, as any toxins stored in the body’s fat are dissolved and removed from the body.
After a few days of the fast, higher levels of certain hormones appear in the blood (endorphins), resulting in a better level of alertness and an overall feeling of general mental well-being.
While it is most important to fast for the sake of Allah with Right intentions, it is also important that you fast in a healthy way to heal your hormones and health issues.
Fasting in a right way brings around these benefits: –
Fasting helps eliminate excess or synthetic hormones, cleanses the liver, alkalizes the blood stream and reboots the natural hormonal process of the body.
When we fast toxins are removed from the cells, hormones are rebalanced, the liver metabolizes most excess hormones floating around the body such as xenoestrogens and cortisol (stress hormone which can lead to inflammation, exhaustion, poor cellular function.
Hence Inflammation is decreased, all organs are regenerated, blood sugars are rebalanced, immune system is boosted, nervous system is rested and reproductive system becomes more balanced and ready.
SubhanAllah, “Which of the favors of your Lord will you deny! “(Surah Ar- Rehman)
DR. Tehsin Malik is a founder of PCOS2Pregnancy program, managing women’s health issues like PCOS, Infertility and Hormonal health–NATURALLY. Alhumdulillah, she has helped many women heal PCOS and Reverse Infertility.